Why send it early?
1. Less gifts to deal with on the day of the wedding.
2. If you're worried your gifts may get stolen at the wedding, sending it early is the more secure way.
3. The bride and groom can get started on making thank you cards early.
4. It's always nice to beat the crowd. Especially if you're going to a large wedding, registry items may get bought out quickly.
5. It's one less thing to worry about when going to a wedding. =)
If you don't see the couple often, you can also ship the item to them. If you have the option of giving it to them in person, it's the better way to go. Why? It's a lot more eco friendly and it'll save the headache of trying to get rid of all the extra packaging. I had a big wedding, and the extra packaging (cardboard boxes, foamies, plastic wrappers, etc.) became a huge nightmare for me.
What are some other useful tips that you know of?
Leave a love note!